The Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool, a public entity risk pool providing property, liability and workers’ compensation coverages to more than 2,800 local governments in Texas, is seeking a Workers’ Compensation Claims Specialist working out of our main office located in Austin, Texas.
The Workers’ Compensation Claims Specialist performs specialized duties in the investigation of workers’ compensation claims. Major components of this position include:
- Investigates assigned workers’ compensation claims to determine compensability; interviews members, claimants, and witnesses; reviews medical reports, personnel records, maintenance reports, police reports, etc.
- Reviews and verifies weekly indemnity benefits.
- Reviews and processes incoming mail relevant to assigned cases.
- Maintains case files.
- Prepares cases for the dispute resolution process; attend dockets and court hearings to assist in the resolution of cases.
- Meets with members to provide workers’ compensation training and to discuss case strategies.
- Conducts periodic activity checks on injured workers to ensure compliance with doctor’s orders, medical instructions, and the Texas Labor Code.
- Files dispute documents within statutory deadlines.
- Performs related duties.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of workers’ compensation rules and regulations, Texas Labor Code, medical terminology, and demonstrated proficiency in workers’ compensation investigation principles and guidelines. Working independently with minimal supervision, the Workers’ Compensation Claims Specialist have skills in oral and written communication, interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public, decision making and problem solving. The ability to use a variety of common computer applications as well learning Pool specific applications is required. A valid Texas driver’s license is required as is a Texas Department of Insurance Worker’s Compensation Adjuster License (or the ability to readily obtain such licenses).
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in business, insurance, or closely related field plus one to two years’ of experience in adjusting workers’ compensation claims in Texas, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications. Position carries a complete benefits package, including Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance; participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System and a 457 Deferred Compensation with a Roth option. If interested, please send a cover letter, and resume to:
Workers’ Compensation Claims Specialist
Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool
1821 Rutherford Lane, First Floor
Austin, TX 78754
(512) 491-3330 FAX or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.