The Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool, a dynamic service-oriented organization, has an immediate opening for a SUBROGATION SPECIALIST in the Legal/Subrogation Department, working out of its main office in Austin.
Working under the general supervision of the department manager, the Subrogation Specialist supports subrogation efforts by performing specialized duties related to the recovery of funds from responsible third-parties.
The Subrogation Specialist will be responsible for:
- Reviewing claim files to evaluate collection potential and develop strategies for recovery.
- Collecting and evaluating the completeness and accuracy of documentary evidence as to amount of damage and liability of third parties.
- Determining proper strategies to secure recovery.
- Evaluating evidence of causation in complex property losses for purposes of evaluating third-party liability.
- Coordinating with experts and third parties in complex property losses to arrange joint examinations and expert opinions.
- Corresponding with parties against whom subrogation claims are to be made; negotiates payment plans.
- Negotiating with other insurance companies and attorneys to reach agreements and maximize recovery settlements.
- Maintaining files and records for all cases.
- Recording and processing all recovery payments.
- Processing reimbursements to policy holder deductibles.
- Performing related duties and fulfilling other responsibilities as assigned.
- Knowledge of the subrogation process.
- Knowledge of legal research principles.
- Knowledge of relevant insurance and workers’ compensation laws.
- Knowledge of standard insurance documentation.
- Knowledge of relevant disciplines of causation experts.
- Knowledge of traffic laws.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- The ability to develop clear and concise written reports.
- Efficiency in all modern office practices and procedures, personal computer, and standard office software is required (including internet applications); also, the ability to adapt to new technology quickly.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, and be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, third-party attorneys and adjusters, and the general public as required by the position.
- The ability to travel throughout the State, as necessary.
A bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies, business, insurance, public administration, or a closely related field plus minimum of three years’ experience; or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Adjuster’s license or other insurance certification preferred but not required.
Starting salary is competitive, consummate with experience. Position carries a complete benefits package, including Medical, Dental, &; Vision Insurance; participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System and a 457 Deferred Compensation with a Roth option.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to
Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool
1821 Rutherford Lane, First Floor
Austin, TX 78754
(512) 491-3330 FAX
or email your resume to email@example.com