The Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool, located in Austin, is a public entity risk pool providing workers’ compensation, liability, and property coverages to more than 2,800 Texas local government entities. We are seeking a Loss Prevention Training Specialist with experience in providing dynamic and appropriate presentations for public works and utilities personnel. The Training Specialist assists employers and employees with education and training to improve safety and risk management.
Reporting to the Loss Prevention Assistant Manager and collaborating with staff, the Loss Prevention Training Specialist provides services and resources to the Pool’s members throughout the state to help reduce the frequency and severity of potential claims.
- Researches and develops educational program curriculum, training programs, and materials with a focus on public works and utilities, including operations such as trenching/excavation, confined spaces, work zones, driving, and other subjects;
- Provides and coordinates on-site education and training for member entity personnel to address risks and exposures through lectures, hands-on instruction, exercises, activities, and group discussions;
- Provides presentations for recorded video programs and webinars;
- Develops and maintains relationships with Risk Pool member entities, professional organizations, and relevant agencies;
- Analyzes loss trends and exposures for workers’ compensation, liability, property, and automobile-related coverages;
- Prepares correspondence to document training activities and member contacts;
- Assists other staff members as a resource in relation to areas of expertise;
- Contributes articles and social media posts;
- Reviews online content that is provided to members;
- Attends required continuing education and training;
- Performs other job related duties as required.
Extensive in-state travel (at least 50%) on behalf of the Risk Pool is required.
Knowledge and experience:
- Comprehensive knowledge and ability to provide education on potential risks in local government operations, particularly public works and utilities operations;
- Experience in developing and delivering dynamic presentations;
- Excellent ability to speak and write effectively to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, public officials, agencies/organizations, and Risk Pool members;
- Excellent computer and technology skills, including Office applications, use of media applications, as well as presenter devices such as projectors, cameras, and other related equipment;
- Experience with public works and utilities in a supervisory role including tasks such as confined space entry, excavation/trenching, materials handling, vehicle operations, and work zones;
- Skill in preparing written correspondence and reports;
- Experience with driving safety programs;
- Experience with operating commercial motor vehicles and machinery a plus;
- Experience with fire/EMS departments and operations a plus.
Education and Certification:
The successful candidate for this position will have experience related to providing informative and engaging presentations. Applicable education and certifications include:
- Bachelors’ degree in public administration, engineering, occupational safety & health, safety management, or a related field, or equivalent experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Relevant designations such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP);
- Valid Texas motor vehicle operator’s license with an acceptable driving record.
Salary is dependent upon qualifications, with a minimum monthly starting salary of $6,851. Position has a benefits package including Major Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance; Participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System; 457 Deferred Compensation Plan with a Roth deferral option; Employer-provided vehicle; Paid holidays, Vacation and Sick Leave; Educational assistance; and an Employee Assistance Program
Loss Prevention Representative
TML Intergovernmental Risk Pool
1821 Rutherford Lane, First Floor
Austin, Texas, 78754
512- 491-2330 (Fax)
Or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
An Equal Opportunity Employer