The Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool, located in Austin, is a public entity risk pool providing workers’ compensation, liability, and property coverages to more than 2,800 Texas local governments. The Pool is seeking a Subrogation Staff Attorney in the Legal Department.
The work consists of varied duties associated with the litigation of subrogation claims. Success in this position contributes to the recovery of funds from responsible third parties.
The successful candidate for this position will have experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years’ experience or service.
- Evaluates, develops, and executes strategies for the successful litigation of subrogation claims.
- Conducts discovery by taking depositions and preparing requests for and responses to written discovery, including requests for disclosures, interrogatories, requests for production, and requests for admissions.
- Attends court hearings and trials on behalf of the Pool and advocates for the Pool’s position on legal issues.
- Negotiates settlements with third-party defendants, third-party insurance carriers, and attorneys for employees who have received workers’ compensation benefits.
- Researches and briefs case law and Texas statutes related to subrogation claims.
- Researches and briefs legal questions pertinent to the agency operations.
- Communicates with members regarding the status and evidentiary development of subrogation matters.
- Position assigns and reviews the work of a paralegal through conferences, reports, and observation of litigation activities.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Knowledge of the legal elements of the causes of action and theories of subrogation that form the bases of subrogation claims.
- Knowledge of statutes and case law that govern issues specific to the Pool’s subrogation claims, including the Workers’ Compensation Act and the Tort Claims Act.
- Knowledge of procedural rules and common practices for conducting discovery, settlement negotiations, hearings and trials.
- Knowledge of legal research principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in negotiating with other attorneys, mediators, and adjustors.
- Skill in drafting court pleadings.
- Skill in analyzing and applying legal standards.
- Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Education and Certification:
Education and memberships include graduation from an accredited school of law and a current membership in the State Bar of Texas.
Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications with a minimum monthly salary of $7,312.90. Position carries a complete benefits package, including Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance; a Pool-provided vehicle; participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System and a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan with a Roth option.
Please submit cover letter and resume to
Title correspondence: Subrogation Staff Attorney
Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool
1821 Rutherford Lane, First Floor
Austin, TX 78754
(512) 491-3330 FAX
or email your resume to email@example.com.