The Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool, a dynamic service-oriented organization, has an opening for an Underwriter Trainee specializing in commercial lines of business in our main Austin office. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of basic insurance principles and will have previous experience as a Customer Service Representative, Rater or other insurance-related experience.
Specifically, this position will develop the skill set to:
- Communicate in writing and orally with the Pool’s members and prospective members regarding coverages, underwriting policies, re-rate, proposals, bids and premium audits;
- Analyze members’ loss records, contributions (premiums), coverages, and rating exposures;
- Calculate and apply contributions for member coverages on bids, proposals and re-rates that reflect established rates and guidelines;
- Research coverage questions/contract interpretations and make recommended modifications;
- Evaluate member contract terms and conditions against coverage conditions.
The ability to work independently and with sound judgment is required. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and must have a basic understanding of insurance principals or units of local government. Analytical skills are required including a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases along with automated workflow. The successful candidate must possess the skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Pool employees, public officials, members, and prospective members. Valid Texas motor vehicle operator’s license is required
Minimum starting salary is dependent upon qualifications (minimum $5,400 monthly) . Position has a complete benefits package including Major Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance; participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System; and a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan with a Roth deferral option. A promotional opportunity to Underwriter is anticipated based on successful training and performance.
A bachelors’ degree, insurance related designation (CPCU or CIC) or college coursework is preferred, but if you have three years of related work experience, send your resume to:
TML Intergovernmental Risk Pool
1821 Rutherford Lane, First Floor
Austin, Texas, 78754
(512) 491-3330 (fax)
or e-mail your resume to email@example.com.